Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hemmed and ahhhed

One of the best things about Korea that I have experience and also heard other foreigners rave about is Korea's ability to fast-track things. For example, almost all deliveries are one day, restaurants never take more than 5minutes before food is on the table, when you get your haircut TWO people will dry and brush your hair to minimize your time in the salon, garbage pick up is three days a week, to get from one end of the country to the next on the KTX takes less than four hours. Koreans really know their efficiency.

Anyway, one of my most recent encounters with Korean fast-track was at the department store called Shinsegae. I went to the Levi's store and tried on a pair a jeans, they were a little too long. So, the sales woman pinned them and offered to have them "cut" (hemmed). Why not? She asked me for my phone number and name and she told me she would call me in 40 minutes when they were finished. 40 minutes!!! And it was free!!! I mean Nordstrom won't even hem my jeans for free and it usually takes a few days. So, I go to kill some time by shopping a little more, and she calls me 25 minutes later to tell me they're finished. WOW! They must have a little old lady working in the back hemming jeans like a maniac... at least that's what I picture. How was the 25 minute hemming job, you ask? It was like they were straight from the manufacturer - perfect. See for yourself. Please excuse the lame house slippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment