Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Treasure

Guess what I found.....





There's a shop called the, "Underground Grocers", in Gwangju. It's tiny, a real hole in the wall place - just big enough for a few shelves and a small freezer section. This shop carries a number of food items found back home. I think most of the items are purchased from Costco - lots of Kirkland brand stuff. I can't say that anything from that store is cheap - however since I have no knowledge of what the shipping and handling costs are I also can't say that it's unreasonable. That being said, I'd like to shock and awe some of our readers by listing some of the prices.

1156 won = 1 US dollar
-Block of cheese (baby loaf): 19,000won
-Can of beans: 5500won
-3lb bag of ravioli: 24,000won
-costco size box of oatmeal: 36,000won

It may not seem SO extravagant - but since food is so cheap here we have a hard time justifying a 19,000won block of pepper jack cheese. V and I can eat a cheap, delicious meal (sit down) for about 6,000won. So, that block of cheese is really three dinners for both of us.

And, yes we did give up three dinners. We couldn't pass up the baby loaf - it was either that or the 3lb bag of ravioli. It was delicious and worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment